Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Gun Debate - Intro



I have been studying and dwelling on the issue of gun control for a while.  I come from a family that enjoys their guns, and that does not want anything to do with guns.  That is to say that my family is split.  I have been able to hear both sides of the argument.  Still, I have to look beyond my family's feelings towards guns to discover what I believe to be the solution to gun violence. 



I have heard every argument made by both sides of the debate, and I am going to address some of those.  I am going to do my best not to be biased when looking at information and bringing up points of discussion.  Since there is so much that can be said on this topic I am going to divide it up into different posts.

First I have a question to ask you. 

Gun lover: If it is discovered and proven that having strict gun control laws, or banning guns, will completely eliminate or severely decrease gun violence and make communities safer and more secure, will you be willing to accept this and embrace the new laws?

Non gun lover: If it is discovered and proven that having no gun laws at all or very few laws, will completely eliminate or severely decrease gun violence and make communities safer and more secure, will you be willing to accept this and embrace the adjustment of laws?

If you answered no to the question, what is your reason? If it is proven, then what reason left do you have to argue?  Isn't the main goal to have a more peaceful environment to live in?  If you cannot answer yes, then stop reading my blog and don't read any further posts on gun control, because you are not truly looking for the solution.  If you are not willing to be wrong in your current convictions in finding the solution, then you are not a productive part of the debate.

We must all realize that we have the same goal in mind, to make life safer for everyone, we just believe in different ways to approach it.  I will tell you right now, I am not going to claim to have discovered the correct solution.  I will try and look at this discussion from all angles and present my opinions.  I do not have the answer, but I will try to get us closer to it. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm firmly in the "non gun lover" camp, but, if it could be proven that having no, or minimal, laws regulating the sale, ownership, and carrying of firearms would all but do away with gun violence and make communities safer, I would be all for it.

    Worth pointing out at this point that it is extremely easy for civilians to purchase firearms in the United States today. Any 'proof' that making guns easier to own would reduce gun violence must, for starters, account for historic and current levels of gun violence here relative to countries that regulate more heavily.

    I'm afraid you'll also find that gun lovers will reject your premise that making life safer for everyone is an appropriate goal and will not want to participate in a conversation on those terms. On purely fact-free, ideologically-based grounds, they will assert that everyone is safer with a gun. They'll go along with the safety argument that far. However, when shown evidence to the contrary, no argument based on scientific measurement will convince them that anything but what they believe could be true. They will abandon the argument for safety and argue that any attempt to curtail gun ownership based on such evidence is an attempt to strip what they perceive to be their legitimate liberties. On those terms, where safety is a trade-off for liberty and freedom, they will tell you liberty and freedom trump concerns over safety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you check the statistics on gun related deaths, They have have been going down the last 10 years... Thats after the AWB expired... Check it out on the FBI website...

    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

    ReplyDelete